Luang Pho Kaew, Revered Abbot of Wat Chong Lom, Passes Away
Luang Pho Kaew, the revered abbot of Wat Chong Lom in Samut Sakhon who served for over three decades and earned royal recognition from King Bhumibol, passed away on September 9, 1983, at age 79. During his tenure, he transformed the temple
Phra Thep Sakamuni, known as Luang Pho Kaew Suwannjochato, the former abbot of Wat Suddhi Watvarataram (Wat Chong Lom) in Samut Sakhon and former provincial sangha leader, was born on December 25, 1903, in Prachuap Khiri Khan province. His birth name was Kaew Thansuwan, born to parents Kan and Wongsa Thansuwan. At age 12, he was ordained as a novice at Wat Chumbock Masai in Prachuap Khiri Khan on July 1, 1915, where he studied elementary level Buddhism and became highly proficient in reading and writing both Thai and Khmer. He received his full monastic ordination on March 19, 1923, at the age of 20, under the guidance of Phra Panyasuddham as his upajjhaya and received the ecclesiastical name Suwannjochato.
After studying at Wat Maha Pruettaram in Bangkok, he passed the highest Buddhist scriptural exams between 1937 and 1938. His administrative roles began in 1939 as a chanting master, and in 1945 he was appointed abbot of Wat Khlong Tan Ratsadorn. In 1952, he became abbot of Wat Chong Lom when the position became vacant, and was simultaneously appointed provincial sangha leader of Samut Sakhon. During his tenure, he oversaw extensive temple development including the construction of monastic quarters, a sermon hall, kitchen, gate structures, a waterfront pavilion, and a new main ordination hall, all funded entirely by donations from the community without government budget.
Luang Pho Kaew placed great emphasis on education, establishing scholarship funds and supporting Wat Chong Lom School, including printing Buddhist curriculum materials. He undertook major community projects including building the Sakor Bridge, constructing a road connecting Ta Chin and Bang Ya Phraek subdistricts, establishing a temporary police station, and supporting the construction of a health clinic in Ta Chalom subdistrict. His exemplary temple development inspired other abbots throughout the region to visit and learn from his work.
On October 26, 1965, King Bhumibol Adulyadej and Queen Sirikit presided over a royal robe-offering ceremony at the temple. The king granted the temple its formal name Wat Suddhi Watvarataram, bestowed a royal insignia, and presented a nine-tiered white umbrella. King Bhumibol reportedly visited the temple many times during his reign and spent long hours in conversation with Luang Pho Kaew, after which the temple became widely known throughout Thailand. Luang Pho Kaew passed away peacefully on the morning of September 9, 1983, at the age of 79 and 59 years as a monk. Throughout his life, he created many sacred amulets and talismans that gained widespread popularity, with the Phra Somdej Kaew Suddhi remaining the most highly sought after.