Deputy Interior Minister Denies Quid Pro Quo in Senate Selection Row
Deputy Interior Minister Vorasit Liangprasoet denied allegations of a quid pro quo arrangement involving his father's Senate selection, calling the claims unjust and suggesting they were created to distract attention.
At 7:10 a.m. on July 30, 2569, Deputy Interior Minister Vorasit Liangprasoet gave an interview at Government House regarding allegations in the Senate selection case. The allegations claimed that if his father, Somkiat Liangprasoet (Sokierat), successfully secured a Senate seat through a particular formula, his son would receive a government position. Vorasit responded rhetorically by asking, "Is it really that easy?" He said his father would file a complaint because such allegations were unjust to both of them.
When asked whether this constituted political discrediting, Vorasit said he did not know the reason but that it appeared to be a deliberate issue created to distract attention, or perhaps something else entirely. Regarding opposition claims that only 5 percent of evidence has been disclosed and questioning whether the remaining 95 percent exists or is merely speculation, Vorasit suggested they ask the opposition directly. He added that this matter had been ongoing for over a year and all processes were already complete. If real evidence existed, he said, it should be submitted to authorities who are already investigating, not to him or the media.
When asked if the Senate case constitutes political rhetoric, Vorasit said such tactics have been ongoing. He confirmed he had discussed the matter with his father but said there was nothing unusual about their conversation. Regarding opposition demands for more information, Vorasit stated that there was nothing to disclose since the alleged situation never occurred in the first place.