Authorities are investigating a surrogacy scam involving over 20 hospitals that falsely certified children born to surrogates as biological offspring. The Public Health Committee plans to compel agency cooperation and refer findings to enfo
The Public Health Committee is investigating the 'biological father and mother' surrogacy scheme, in which hospitals falsely certify children born to surrogates. The committee has identified more than 20 suspect hospitals and plans to submit a bill restricting cannabis use to medical purposes only. It has also flagged the 'Doctor Ready' application as potentially fraudulent.
On August 22, 2569, at Parliament, Soklathee Pattiyakul, a Democrat list MP and vice-party chair serving as Public Health Committee chair, briefed reporters on progress in investigating the surrogate-parent fraud scheme. He said the committee is currently waiting for documents from agencies hesitant to disclose data. He urged the release of names of suspect hospitals and their submission to the committee for questioning.
In Bangkok, the committee requested a list of suspected surrogacy participants—approximately 500 people—but is still awaiting documentation. The committee's goal is to identify those responsible, as these cases typically involve organized networks. When information arrives, the committee will refer findings to other agencies with enforcement powers, such as the Anti-Corruption Committee, to trace money flows and expose gray-market corruption infiltrating every sector, including public health.
When asked what steps the committee can take if agencies fail to cooperate, Soklathee said legal powers exist to compel testimony, but the committee prefers not to resort to that measure. The committee's request is not political; it aims to solve a problem using data already in hand and simply needs clear agency confirmation. If normal requests fail, the committee may invoke legal subpoena powers or invite agencies weekly.
Preliminary checks identified roughly 8 private hospitals involved; the number has now grown to nearly 20. Next week, Parliament meets, and Soklathee said he will raise the 'Doctor Ready' application issue, reaffirming commitment to pursuing the surrogate-parent case fully because corruption has penetrated every process, including health services that drain Thai taxpayer budgets.
Asked how the committee will investigate the 'Doctor Ready' app—given that the Public Health Ministry claimed it was merely a data-entry error—Soklathee said he found the ministry's explanation insufficient. Between 200 and 300 complaints suggest this was not a simple keystroke error but potential fraud. He will summon the explainer again, as the case undermines public confidence. He previously wrote to the Health Ministry's permanent secretary, but he is not satisfied with the delegate sent; the representative must be someone who knows the facts. The case appears to show fraudulent intent, not mere data-entry mistakes.
Asked whether he views it as fraud rather than error, Soklathee said some observers claim that if enforcement were strict, almost no hospital in Thailand would be found fully compliant. For this reason, he believes a joint consultation is needed. If it is a Health Ministry KPI issue, that needs correction to prevent such incidents in future, rather than rushing to conclude that the data entry was wrong and closing the case.
When asked how the committee will address the current large-scale smuggling of cannabis out of the country, Soklathee said the issue centers on disclosure. He will write again to the Customs Department asking how much contraband cannabis has been seized and by whom. However, names of individuals moving large containers out remain unknown. From conversations, most smugglers appear to be foreign nationals, though they likely cannot operate alone.