Renowned Buddhist Monk Luang Pu Hian of Nong Bua Temple
Luang Pu Hian, former abbot of Nong Bua Temple in Kanchanaburi Province, was a revered Buddhist monk who trained numerous disciples who became celebrated scholars and created sought-after amulets distributed freely to devotees throughout hi
Phra Sophon Samajarn, also known as Luang Pu Hian Suvannacho, was the former abbot of Sri Upphalarama Temple (Nong Bua Temple) and former ecclesiastical chief of Muang District, Kanchanaburi Province. He is recognized as a devoted and close disciple of Luang Pu Yim, the venerable abbot of Nong Bua Temple in Muang District, Kanchanaburi, a highly accomplished Buddhist master renowned for his spiritual attainment. Notably, Luang Pu Hian taught many disciples who became celebrated Buddhist scholars specializing in esoteric studies, including Luang Pu Di of Nuea Temple, Luang Pu Jai of Sadet Temple, Luang Pho Sorn of Lad Ya Temple, Luang Pho Chaem of Chula Mani Temple, Luang Pho Hang of Nuea Temple, Luang Pho Dok Mai of Don Chedi Temple, and Luang Pho Muean of Klang Nuea Temple, among others.
Originally named Hian Ratsuwan, he was born on Saturday, January 6, 2419 (1876) at Nong Bua subdistrict, Muang District, Kanchanaburi, to Thai-Chinese parents Nai Pho and Nang Yaem Ratsuwan. He was one of seven siblings born into a farming family with modest means. Despite his humble origins and the necessity of helping his parents earn their livelihood, he pursued education diligently and became proficient in reading, writing, and the Thai and Khmer languages, earning respect from his community.
At approximately age 22, he underwent ordination at Sri Upphalarama Temple on July 6, 2440 (1897), with Ajarn Yim as his preceptor, Phra Kru Singkhipuran Kanajarn of Thewasangkharam Temple as his ceremony conductor, and Phra Ajarn Yue as his witness. He received the ecclesiastical name Suvannacho. He remained at Sri Upphalarama Temple throughout his monastic training under Luang Pu Yim, demonstrating humility and respect for his teacher and senior disciples.
When Luang Pu Yim passed away in 2454 (1911), the provincial ecclesiastical authorities appointed Hian as abbot of Nong Bua Temple. He later served as ecclesiastical chief of Muang District in 2458 (1915) and as a preceptor in 2473 (1930). He received royal ecclesiastical rank promotions: in 2461 (1918) as Phra Kru Niwit Samajarn, in 2490 (1947) as Phra Kru Sannyabat Chueng Aek, and in 2496 (1953) as Phra Ratchakanakha. He passed away peacefully from old age on December 27, 2503 (1960) at the age of 84, completing 63 Buddhist Lent periods.
Luang Pu Hian created many auspicious amulets and talismans, including takrut charms, wishing beads, beaded panels, sacred rings, and closed-eyed Buddha images modeled after Luang Pu Yim's designs but in smaller sizes. He distributed these freely to faithful devotees throughout his life. In his declining years, his disciples requested that he produce amulets as mementos to distribute to those who came to make merit. All of his amulet batches became highly valued, particularly the "Lion Tusk" amulet created in 2497 (1954), which was carved from elephant ivory in the form of a lion.