Revered Monk's First-Edition Medal Released
A commemorative first-edition medal honoring revered monk Luang Pho Sali Thammasaro was released in 1966, one year after his death at Khao Wang Temple in Ratchaburi, where he served as abbot for over three decades.
Luang Pho Sali Thammasaro, also known as Phra Khru Phrom Samajarn of Khao Wang Temple in Muang District, Ratchaburi, was a highly revered Buddhist teacher with many devoted followers. Born on Thursday, November 15, 1883, at Ban Koh Pom in Huai Khot District, Uthai Thani, to Nai Dam Suvanrangsi and Nang Wanna Suvanrangsi, he was the sixth of seven children. He learned to read and write Thai at home before studying further at a nearby monastic school.
In 1903, at age 20, he was ordained at Nong Khun Chat Temple, with Phra Khru Uthan Thammanithét as his preceptor. He remained there for eight years studying Pali language extensively. He later moved to Bangkok's Maha Thatuyuwarat Rungsrit Temple under the care of Somdet Phra Wan Rat.
After returning to Uthai Thani due to his parents' illness and later their deaths, he temporarily left the monastic life for 11 months to settle family affairs. In November 1903, he was re-ordained and received the name Thammasaro. He then devoted himself to meditation practice, wandering to various locations seeking peaceful retreat sites.
In 1924, during his eighth rainy season, he arrived at Khao Wang in Ratchaburi with fellow monks. The local people invited him to stay, and villagers requested permission to establish a temple there. In 1929, the King granted Khao Wang as monastic land, and he was appointed abbot. By 1934, the temple's main structures were complete. He continued his practice of retreating to different locations while returning to Khao Wang for rainy season retreats.
In 1965, suffering from illness, he returned to Ratchaburi Hospital, where he passed away on November 12, 1965, at age 82 with 61 Buddhist lent seasons completed. His amulet collection remains legendary in Ratchaburi, particularly the first-edition likeness medal created in 1966 as a commemoration of his 80th birthday celebration, donated by Somsakdi Naksuk.