Two Suspects Held Pending as PM Monitors Local Exam Fraud Case
Two suspects are being held pending investigation into local government civil service exam fraud, with evidence linking them to falsified data and altered scores affecting thousands of test-takers. Prime Minister Anuthín is monitoring the c
On July 15, Prime Minister Anuthín Charnvírakul and Interior Ministry Permanent Secretary Artsíts Sámphanrat attended a meeting to review progress in the local government civil service exam fraud investigation following the arrest of three suspects, including director Pichít. The national police chief and senior law enforcement officials participated alongside representatives from the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC), the Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission (PACC), the Interior Ministry, and related agencies.
Deputy National Police Chief Natsasák reported that evidence links all three suspects, who allegedly falsified data entered into computer systems and altered exam scores, leading to their arrest. All three suspects have denied the charges. Police are actively investigating masterminds and co-conspirators based on evidence from nine search locations, including documents, digital evidence, and witness statements.
Natsasák said that during questioning, one suspect mentioned meeting with staff from Srinakharinwirot University's Prasanmit campus. Police are investigating whether this contact relates to the fraud, but emphasized this is only the suspect's statement and lacks sufficient evidence to charge the university employee. No state officials have been linked so far, though anyone implicated will face prosecution and referral to the NACC for corruption charges.
Permanent Secretary Artsíts reported that of 15,520 exam passers, 14,988 have reported. Comparing raw scores from answer sheets with announced results revealed discrepancies for 5,814 people: 3,621 should have failed but were given passing scores; 1,713 passed but had scores inflated to improve ranking; and 480 cases involved scanning errors requiring verification against NACC-seized answer sheets.
Prime Minister Anuthín said he previously challenged the central civil service selection committee and requested delayed reporting from passers pending fact-checking, but once matters enter the committee's jurisdiction, everything must proceed by law and committee authority. In his personal view, if exam fraud is proven from the beginning, all involved passers should be disqualified. He confirmed the government will pursue all legal avenues and consult with the justice system to ensure fairness for unaffected test-takers.
Anuthín announced appointment of a separate case-monitoring committee chaired by Deputy Prime Minister Pakorn Nílpraphan, including the national police commander, representatives from the NACC, PACC, and the Office of the Ombudsman, along with the Justice Minister and related officials.