Wat Phra Kaew Welcomes New Jade Buddha Replica
Wat Phra Kaew in Chiang Rai enshrines a jade Buddha replica created in 1990 to honor Queen Sirikit's 90th birthday and commemorate the site where the Emerald Buddha was originally discovered. The Canadian jade image, formally consecrated by
The "Phra Yok Chiang Rai" or "Phra Phuttharatanapkorn," officially named "Phra Phuttharatanapkorn Navuttiwassanusoranamongkol," is enshrined as the principal Buddha image in the Jade Buddha Hall at Wat Phra Kaew, a royal temple in Chiang Rai province. This ancient Lanna art temple was originally called Wat Pa Yia (Bamboo Forest), the site where the Emerald Buddha was discovered before being brought to Wat Phra Si Rattana Sasadaram in Bangkok. Chiang Rai residents have called it Wat Phra Kaew ever since.
Historical records state that around 1897, during the reign of King Mengrai over Chiang Mai, lightning struck an abandoned chedi. Inside, workers found a Buddha image covered in gold leaf. When the covering was removed, they discovered a green Buddha image carved from jade—the Emerald Buddha. The sacred image was subsequently moved to various cities: Lampang, Chiang Mai, Luang Prabang, Vientiane, Thonburi, and finally to Wat Phra Si Rattana Sasadaram in Bangkok in 1778, where it remains to this day.
In 1990, to commemorate Queen Sirikit's 90th birthday on October 21 and to honor the Emerald Buddha's discovery at this location, a replica titled "Phra Yok Chiang Rai" was created. This new image was crafted to inspire reverence and to pay homage to Queen Sirikit, who brought progress and development to Chiang Rai.
The Phra Yok Chiang Rai is a Buddha image in meditation pose with dimensions closely resembling the Emerald Buddha, measuring 47.9 centimeters wide and 65.9 centimeters tall in Chiangsen artistic style. The image was carved from the finest Canadian jade, with ornaments and base made from precious gems and gold. The pedestal base, approximately one cubit high, was carved from Chiangsen lotus-style jade stone. Master sculptor Kanok Wiswakun created the prototype, which was then carved by skilled craftsmen at the Walinna Nango Factory in China. The dedication ceremony was held at Guangji Temple in Beijing, where Queen Sirikit bestowed the formal name "Phra Phuttharatanapkorn Navuttiwassanusoranamongkol," meaning "Buddha Lord of Jeweled Treasures, Memorial to the 90th Birthday," with the common name "Phra Yok Chiang Rai."
King Bhumibol Adulyadej graciously authorized the Grand Buddha Consecration ceremony at Wat Phra Si Rattana Sasadaram in the Grand Palace on September 20, 1991. His Majesty anointed the image and lit candles, assisted by Supreme Patriarch Somdet Phra Sangharaj Krom Luang Wachirayan Warorot. The image was then transported to Wat Phra Kaew and enshrined on October 19, 1991, with grand celebrations.
Although the Phra Yok Chiang Rai is a modern creation, it holds sacred significance and deep devotion among Chiang Rai residents as a representative of the Emerald Buddha and as a tribute to Queen Sirikit, the inspiration of all Chiang Rai people. Within the temple's ordination hall, another sacred Buddha image is enshrined: the Phra Chao Lanthong, one of Thailand's most beautiful and majestic Buddha images. The temple also contains an ancient chedi registered by the Department of Fine Arts as a national historical monument in 1935, along with architectural structures reflecting traditional Lanna design.