Thai man detained in Cambodia after border disappearance
A 58-year-old Thai man from Surin province who disappeared near the Cambodia border in April while collecting forest products is being detained in Oddar Meanchey province on charges of illegal entry and military trespassing.
SURIN — Thailand's 2nd Army Region on Wednesday confirmed that a 58-year-old Thai man who went missing near the Thai-Cambodian border last month is currently being detained in Cambodia.
The man, identified as Yot Sainoi from Surin province, was reported missing after entering a forest area near the border in Kap Choeng district on 25 April to collect forest products. His family later filed a missing person report with Kap Choeng police after they were unable to contact him.
Authorities later found his motorcycle parked near the forest edge and launched a joint search operation with local administrative and security agencies.
Following coordination with Cambodian authorities, Col. Pov Peng, head of the O'Smach border coordination unit, informed Thai officials that Cambodian authorities had detained Yot and transferred him to Oddar Meanchey province for legal proceedings.
According to the Cambodian side, Yot is facing charges related to illegal entry and trespassing into a military area. He is currently being held at Oddar Meanchey provincial prison.
The 2nd Army Region said it is working closely with Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Thai Consulate-General in Siem Reap to provide consular assistance and ensure the man receives humanitarian care and legal support. Officials said he remains safe while in custody.
The army also urged residents living near border areas to exercise caution when entering forests or conducting activities near the frontier, advising them to inform local officials in advance to reduce the risk of getting lost or facing legal issues in neighbouring countries.