Education Minister Seeks Welfare Card Rule Change for Dropouts
Education Minister Prasert Chantharwangtong plans to request Cabinet approval for relaxed welfare card eligibility rules for non-formal education students who dropped out, urging them to rejoin the system.
At 9:20 a.m. on July 21, 2026, at Government House, Education Minister Prasert Chantharwangtong spoke to the media before the Cabinet meeting regarding non-formal education students who dropped out to qualify for state welfare cards. He said he would raise the matter in Cabinet to discuss how eligibility criteria could be adjusted to provide assistance. Students are a vulnerable group requiring special care, as NFED learners range widely in age. Prasert had already raised the issue with Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul and Deputy Prime Minister Ekniti Nitithanprayat during their China visit and said further details would be discussed today.
Regarding students who have already dropped out, Prasert appealed for them to rejoin the system, as the government does not want anyone to leave education. The ministry is working on solutions and will adjust any criteria that can be modified. The exact number of dropouts from the NFED's total enrollment of 200,000 is still being verified. The Education Ministry is also pushing to help former students understand the situation and encourage them to return. Prasert stressed that the Education Ministry does not want students dropping out for such reasons, as education is crucial. The ministry aims to protect their rights and enable them to resume their studies. All relevant information has been prepared by the Education Ministry for presentation at today's Cabinet meeting.