Luang Pho Plian's First-Edition Amulet from Wat Chai Mongkol
Luang Pho Plian, a revered monk who became abbot of Wat Chai Mongkol in Samut Sakhon Province in 1923, is remembered for a legendary encounter with a supernatural crocodile that he subdued using spiritual power.
Luang Pho Plian Kanthasilo, also known as Phrakhru Sakorn Silajarn, was the former abbot of Wat Chai Mongkol in Samut Sakhon Province. Originally named Plian Kongthin, he was born on November 3, 1890, in Ban Ko subdistrict, Mueang district. His parents were Nai Loi and Nang Si Kongthin, and he had seven siblings. In 1908, at age 18, he began novice training at Wat Ko to study reading and writing. In 1910, at age 20, he was fully ordained as a monk at Wat Ko under his preceptor Luang Pho Nut, the abbot of Wat Bang Pla, with additional teachers overseeing his ordination. He received the monastic name Kanthasilo. He spent six Buddhist Lent seasons at Wat Ko before moving to Wat Khlong Khru for seven more seasons. He then became abbot of Wat Chai Mongkol (originally called Wat Hua Takhe) in 1923.
The temple's unusual history begins with a legendary crocodile. According to local tradition, villagers from nearby Mahajai hunted a fierce crocodile that killed indiscriminately, eventually striking it with a golden axe in the head. The wounded crocodile fled and hid in a marsh on the way to Ban Phaew district. When villagers tracked it down, none dared approach due to their fear of its supernatural power. They invited Luang Pho Plian, a disciple of the legendary Luang Pu Tao Kao Yot (Luang Pho Nut), to subdue the creature. Upon arrival, Luang Pho Plian performed a ritual to summon the crocodile from the water. The creature emerged with the golden axe still embedded in its head. Using his spiritual power, Luang Pho Plian put the crocodile to sleep and removed the axe, discovering mystical tattoos of four-directional yantras on its head—markings placed by Luang Pu Tao Kao Yot. The crocodile ultimately succumbed to its wounds and was buried at the location.
After the crocodile's death, the villager who threw the axe died, and others who participated in the hunt fell seriously ill, believed to be the work of the crocodile's vengeful spirit. A spirit-calming ritual was performed and a shrine was erected to appease it. The incidents ceased miraculously. The crocodile shrine originally stood within the temple grounds and was later relocated to the rear. The first settlers in the area named their village Ban Hua Takhe (Crocodile Head Village) and requested Luang Pho Plian to name the temple Wat Hua Takhe. Later, the temple was renamed Wat Sirsa Takhe, and eventually Wat Chai Mongkol when Luang Pho Plian expanded the facilities and sought a more auspicious name. The village was renamed Chai Mongkol accordingly, though elderly locals still occasionally use the old name Ban Hua Takhe. Luang Pho Plian passed away peacefully on April 17, 1976, at the age of 86.