Lanta & News
No. 01 · ENDLESS
Police

Russian Man Hospitalized After Self-Harm Crisis in Phuket

A 19-year-old Russian man was hospitalized in Phuket after attempting self-harm following an argument with his wife; rescuers performed CPR before transport to Vachira Hospital.

Russian Man Hospitalized After Self-Harm Crisis in Phuket
11 Aug Khaosod

A 19-year-old Russian man was rushed to hospital after an emergency at a house in Phuket's Sam Kong area. At about 10:00, Pol. Lt. Col. Wiriyaphong Srinuanpan, deputy investigation inspector at Kathu Police Station, was alerted by the station's radio centre that a foreign man had attempted to harm himself inside a house and had been assisted before being taken to hospital.

Police informed Pol. Col. Chalermchai Hoensawat, chief of Kathu Police Station, before officers went to the scene at Pruksa Ville Sam Kong village, at 48/105, Soi 4, Moo 5, Kathu subdistrict, Kathu district. Officers found the man's wife at the house. She identified him as Roman Popov, 19, a Russian national.

She told police that she and her husband had argued from about 4:00. The man subsequently displayed behaviour indicating repeated attempts to harm himself, prompting her to intervene and seek help from others. At about 9:30, she found her husband in an emergency condition and immediately attempted to help him and called for assistance.

Rescuers from the Kusoldharm Phuket Foundation arrived at the house and performed CPR before moving him to an ambulance for continued emergency treatment. He was then taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital. Police are investigating the circumstances and questioning those involved. Popov remains under close medical care, with doctors continuing to provide treatment and assistance.

No. 01 of Read at source → Next
National

Education Minister Pushes Stricter School Safety Rules

Thailand's Education Minister is pushing stricter school safety rules that would let designated teachers search for and confiscate weapons, following recent school violence in Nonthaburi.

Education Minister Pushes Stricter School Safety Rules
11 Aug The Phuket Express

Thailand – Education Minister Prasert Chandraruangthong has said he plans to seek Cabinet approval for tougher school safety rules that would allow designated teachers to inspect for and confiscate weapons following the recent violence at a school in Nonthaburi. Prasert is expected to submit the proposed Ministry of Education rules to the Cabinet today (Aug […]

No. 02 of Read at source → Next
Police

Commerce Ministry Raids Hua Hin Over Fake Thai Nominee Scheme

Commerce Ministry raids in Hua Hin uncovered a scheme using Thai nominees to illegally transfer real estate companies to foreigners, resulting in dozens of arrests and summons across cases valued over 300 million baht.

Commerce Ministry Raids Hua Hin Over Fake Thai Nominee Scheme
11 Aug Khaosod

Commerce Ministry director Poonpong Naiyanaphakorn revealed that on August 10, 2025, he authorized Deputy Director Maliwan Thongluang to lead an anti-nominee task force into Hua Hin district in coordination with police, immigration, and internal security agencies. The operation conducted searches at 15 locations and uncovered a scheme where Thai nationals were listed as shareholders and directors of real estate holding and rental companies, which were later secretly restructured to bring in foreign nationals within six months. Investigators found that Thai and foreign shareholders had no prior acquaintance, violating business conduct standards. The operation resulted in 45 arrest warrants for foreigners, 39 summons for Thai nationals, and 13 arrests across 33 cases valued at over 300 million baht. Officials noted that since August 1, 2025, when the Commerce Ministry tightened registration procedures, nominee-based applications have dropped significantly to just five cases. The ministry vowed to continue monitoring and preventing foreigners from illegally acquiring Thai real estate through nominee schemes.

No. 03 of Read at source → Next
National

PM Orders Strict Gun Ban Outside Home, Prison Terms Enforced

Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul announced strict new firearms controls requiring all civilian guns to remain stored at home, with no carrying outside and no bail for violations. Permit renewals are suspended pending a new law with toughe

PM Orders Strict Gun Ban Outside Home, Prison Terms Enforced
11 Aug Khaosod

At 12:45 p.m. on August 11, 2025, Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul announced strict firearms control measures at the Government House. He ordered Deputy Prime Minister Pakorn Nilprapath to urgently draft a new firearms law and instructed the Interior Ministry and National Police Office to suspend all permit renewals in categories 3, 4, and 12 until a new cabinet resolution is issued.

Anutin emphasized that enforcement guidelines and penalties must be toughened significantly, with authorities conducting random checkpoints targeting guns and narcotics. He stated that no bail will be allowed for firearm violations, and those caught will be detained. He stressed that civilians should not believe claims that carrying firearms for self-protection is acceptable, warning that most gun-carriers end up harming themselves.

When asked about online firearms sales, Anutin declared a blanket prohibition: without a license, possession means prison—no middle ground. He said the government will consult with prosecutors and courts to ensure swift prosecution and opposition to bail.

On registered legal firearms, Anutin clarified they must remain stored at home only and cannot be carried outside. Illegal guns must be surrendered within a timeframe set by law. Inherited guns in unsuitable condition will receive an exemption from prosecution if returned on time.

Concerning legally owned firearms, Anutin confirmed a complete ban on carrying them outside the home for non-state officials not on duty. Even athletes training at shooting ranges must leave their guns at the facility, purchase ammunition there, and account for all rounds. He noted that other countries enforce such bans strictly, with some imposing capital punishment.

When asked if authorities will confiscate guns from individuals with threatening or violent behavior, Anutin indicated that with no carry permits in place, such people should not possess firearms at all.

No. 04 of Read at source → Next
National

MEA Warns of Fake LINE Accounts Impersonating Staff

Scammers are impersonating MEA staff through fake LINE accounts to trick residents into granting home access or paying fees, the Metropolitan Electricity Authority warns. Verify any meter inspection requests directly with MEA through offici

MEA Warns of Fake LINE Accounts Impersonating Staff
11 Aug Khaosod

The Metropolitan Electricity Authority (MEA) is warning residents to be cautious of fake LINE accounts in which scammers impersonate MEA staff. These fraudsters send messages claiming to conduct electricity meter inspections while attempting to gain credibility to trick people into allowing them access to their homes or to collect fees. MEA emphasizes that such messages are entirely false and not from the authority.

MEA confirms that official meter inspections follow proper procedures and no fees are collected through chat, phone calls, or on-site collection without supporting documents and official MEA processes. When meter inspections are necessary, staff will present their official identification cards and relevant documents for verification.

MEA urges the public not to trust messages or accounts that cannot be verified and to check directly with MEA before taking any action. The authority recommends the following precautions: do not allow strangers into your property without verifying their identity; do not transfer money or pay fees based on instructions received via chat or phone; require staff to show their identification cards before beginning work; and if you receive suspicious messages, stop communication immediately and contact MEA to verify.

Residents can verify legitimate information through MEA's official online channels, including the LINE account MEA Connect (@MEAthailand), which features a green shield symbol before the account name, or by calling the MEA Call Center at 1130, available 24 hours a day.

No. 05 of Read at source → Next
National

Geely Riddara Hits Fourth-Ranked Pickup Sales for Second Month

Geely Riddara secured fourth place in Thailand's four-door pickup segment for the second consecutive month with 409 July registrations, maintaining its lead in the country's new-energy pickup market. The brand attributes growth to competiti

Geely Riddara Hits Fourth-Ranked Pickup Sales for Second Month
11 Aug Khaosod

Geely Riddara Thailand continues to make waves in Thailand's new-energy pickup market after achieving 409 registrations in July and climbing to the fourth-ranked position in the four-door pickup segment for the second straight month. The brand maintains its leading position in Thailand's new-energy pickup market overall, demonstrating sustained sales growth and reinforcing consumer trust in electric pickups as a reliable, affordable solution that meets both practical and value-conscious needs across commercial and everyday use.

This success comes amid a shift in Thailand's pickup market, where consumers and business operators are increasingly prioritizing operating costs, efficiency, and long-term value. As a result, new-energy pickups are gaining wider appeal—not just as alternative vehicles, but as essential tools for both commercial and personal use, including family and lifestyle applications. The Riddara RD6 exemplifies this trend with its "Function as a Pickup, Drive as an SUV" philosophy.

A key growth driver for Geely Riddara is its comprehensive product strategy targeting two main customer groups. The Riddara Econ Series is designed for commercial and hauling use, appealing to business operators seeking cost-effective, high-torque performance. The Riddara RD6 Series addresses dual-purpose buyers wanting versatility, technology, and a smooth driving experience. The brand currently offers five variants priced between 739,000 and 1,149,000 baht—one Econ model (63 kWh 2WD) and four RD6 options with varying battery and drivetrain configurations.

Beyond product strength, Geely Riddara has built consumer confidence through test drives, product communications, targeted promotions, and an expanded dealer and service network now comprising 29 showrooms and service centers nationwide. The brand continues to elevate after-sales service with genuine parts availability and trained technicians to ensure high-quality customer satisfaction.

No. 06 of Read at source → Next
National

Dragon 5 Member Mourned as Funeral Rites Begin

Dragon 5 member Tae, 46, was remembered during funeral rites at Bua Khwan Temple in Nonthaburi on August 11, with all bandmates present to pay their respects to the late musician and console his grieving family.

Dragon 5 Member Mourned as Funeral Rites Begin
11 Aug Khaosod

Dragon 5 member Tae is mourned as his body is transferred and funeral rites prepare to begin, with all bandmates arriving in solemn tribute. On August 11 at Bua Khwan Temple in Nonthaburi province, the merit-making ceremony takes place for Thaman Tae Phan, known as Tae Dragon 5, age 46, a former member of the celebrated boy band who passed away amid profound sorrow from his family and entertainment industry colleagues. At 1:45 p.m., the family transferred the body from cold storage into a white casket to prepare for the subsequent funeral rites. At 2:00 p.m., the body was moved to the chedi with Aondy carrying incense, his girlfriend holding his portrait, a monk chanting prayers, and Tae's mother walking in the procession. The atmosphere remained heavy with grief as Dragon 5 bandmates Aondy Khaem Phimuk, Yawin Yat Omorsun, Atis Atthakritsan, and Sakan Chao Rattan arrived together to embrace Tae's mother with deep condolences.

No. 07 of Read at source → Next
Police

Durian Orchard Fire Destroys Crops Worth 300,000 Baht

A fire destroyed over 70 durian trees worth 300,000 baht at a Phatthalung orchard on August 10, with the owner suspecting arson due to an ongoing land dispute with a neighbor.

Durian Orchard Fire Destroys Crops Worth 300,000 Baht
11 Aug Khaosod

A durian orchard owner in Phatthalung province has filed a complaint with police after a fire destroyed over 70 trees and other fruit plants valued at more than 300,000 baht on August 10, 2024. Theeratep and Naiyana, the owners, suspect the fire was intentionally set, as the blaze occurred in an area near a neighbor's property with whom they have had an ongoing conflict. The dispute began when the neighbor objected to the owners' land improvements and constructed an unauthorized structure on public land. After the Quanmaphrao subdistrict municipality ordered the structure removed within 30 days, tensions escalated, leading to verbal abuse and the neighbor throwing guava fruit at Theeratep, causing injury. When the orchard caught fire at midday, locals and municipal firefighters extinguished it, but Theeratep believes it was deliberately set due to the fire's proximity to the neighbor's house. He has filed a report with Muang Phatthalung police for investigation.

No. 08 of Read at source → Next
National

Thailand Tightens Airport Baggage Screening From October

Thailand's aviation authority is tightening checked baggage screening procedures starting October 16, allowing inspectors to open bags without passengers present if suspicious items are detected, with inspections video-recorded and owners n

11 Aug TAT Newsroom

Bangkok, 11 August 2026 – The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) advises passengers departing from airports in Thailand with checked baggage on or after 16 October 2026 to check the latest information from their airline, departure airport and the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT), especially rules regarding prohibited items and checked baggage requirements.

CAAT has announced revised procedures aimed at strengthening aviation security and improving the efficiency of checked baggage screening. They apply to baggage checked for carriage in the aircraft hold, while current procedures will remain in effect until changes are introduced.

Under the revised procedures, checked baggage may be opened for inspection without the owner being present if screening officers identify items considered suspicious, prohibited or potentially harmful to aviation safety. CAAT has emphasised that checked bags will not be routinely opened.

When an inspection is required, the bag will be opened in a designated area under controlled conditions. The inspection process will be video recorded, with records retained for review, and passengers will be notified afterwards if their bag was opened and inspected.

CAAT notes that similar procedures are used in many countries, including Singapore, Japan, South Korea and the United States, as well as in parts of the Middle East and Europe. They allow security personnel to resolve screening concerns without having to locate the passenger to unlock luggage, helping to minimise potential delays while maintaining aviation security.

To support inspections when required, CAAT recommends using internationally recognised bag locks, such as a TSA-compatible lock. Passengers are also encouraged to check for prohibited and restricted items before travelling. CAAT further advises against placing valuables, fragile items, important documents or essential personal belongings in checked baggage.

Travellers with international connections or onward journeys should also check baggage and security requirements at transit and destination airports, as regulations may vary between countries.

Passengers who experience an issue or damage arising from inspections may contact their airline or submit a complaint to CAAT through complaint.caat.or.th.

TAT will provide further updates should CAAT issue additional operational guidance before the revised procedures take effect.

No. 09 of Read at source → Next
Police

Illegal Taxi Driver Refunds Overcharged Lao Passenger

An unlicensed Ubon Ratchathani taxi driver refunded 3,600 baht to a Lao passenger after charging him nearly double the fair rate for a 94-kilometre trip to the Thai-Lao border. The driver was fined 2,000 baht and had his licence temporarily

Illegal Taxi Driver Refunds Overcharged Lao Passenger
11 Aug Khaosod

UBON RATCHATHANI — An unlicensed taxi driver has admitted charging a Lao passenger 4,500 baht for a 94-kilometre journey and agreed to refund the 3,600 baht he received. The driver was also fined 2,000 baht by the provincial transport office for using a vehicle for an unauthorised type of service and had his private driving licence temporarily suspended.

The case came to light after a Lao passenger posted a video of his conversation with the driver, who had allegedly charged 4,500 baht for a trip from the Ubon Ratchathani Provincial Transport Office to the Chong Mek border checkpoint in Sirindhorn district, approximately 94 kilometres away. The fare was eventually negotiated down to 3,600 baht.

Following the incident, transport officials summoned the driver to meet investigators at Mueang Ubon Ratchathani Police Station. Sajja Sarawit, 32, appeared before Pol Col Saksri Krairat, chief of Mueang Ubon Ratchathani Police Station, to give a statement.

Sajja admitted charging the Lao passenger 4,500 baht, explaining that the fare was eventually negotiated down to 3,600 baht. He said the passenger had arrived at the bus station, where he approached and offered a ride. He initially quoted a rate of 50 baht per kilometre before picking up the passenger and luggage and driving them to the Chong Mek border checkpoint. Upon arrival, he calculated the fare at 4,500 baht. The passenger offered 1,500 baht instead. Sajja said he told the passenger that he had no other customers and suggested going to the police, leading to further negotiations that resulted in the final fare of 3,600 baht.

Sajja apologised to the Lao passenger and offered to return the full 3,600 baht. He deposited the money with transport officials for the passenger to collect. The Ubon Ratchathani Provincial Transport Office also fined him 2,000 baht for using the vehicle for an unauthorised type of service and temporarily suspended his private driving licence.

Pol Col Saksri advised Sajja that if he wanted to work as a black-plate taxi driver, he should apply for proper registration with the transport office. He also said Sajja could register to work as a ride-hailing driver. After giving his statement, arranging the refund, and being fined under transport regulations, Sajja left the police station.

No. 10 of Read at source → Next
Loading more…
Endless reading Scroll to read. When you reach the bottom, keep scrolling. A bar fills, and the next story slides in when it's full. ↑ ↓ or Space Or use the arrows at the bottom of the screen.