Lanta & News
No. 01 · ENDLESS
National

Thailand Freezes Electricity Rates at 3.95 Baht Per Unit

Thailand's Energy Regulatory Commission froze electricity rates at 3.95 baht per unit through December 2025 by absorbing accumulated costs and using clawed-back revenues to shield consumers from rising fuel expenses.

Thailand Freezes Electricity Rates at 3.95 Baht Per Unit
23 Jul Khaosod

The Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) has approved the automatic fuel adjustment formula at 16.23 satang per unit for the September-December 2025 billing period, keeping the average electricity rate stable at 3.95 baht per unit when combined with the base rate of 3.78 baht per unit, excluding value-added tax. According to ERC Secretary Poolpat Leesombatpiboon, the fuel adjustment reflects anticipated fuel costs and electricity purchase expenses of 41.27 satang per unit, adjusted to reflect current natural gas pricing. The Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand will continue to absorb accumulated costs totaling 31,268 million baht on behalf of consumers, while the ERC has mobilized 16,127.17 million baht in clawed-back excess revenues—equivalent to 25.04 satang per unit—to further reduce the electricity burden. The rate determination follows the 2007 Energy Business Act and the 2021 Electricity Rate Setting Criteria, which allow the ERC to use clawed-back funds to help stabilize rates and mitigate impacts from energy crises. The ERC emphasized balancing true cost recovery with protection of consumers' cost of living, noting that 168 people reviewed the proposal during the July 13-20 public consultation period, with seven comments expressing concern about living expenses and requesting rate stability. The commission will closely monitor global energy prices, liquefied natural gas costs, exchange rates, and geopolitical factors to ensure future rates remain appropriate, transparent, and fair to all stakeholders.

No. 01 of Read at source → Next
National

Thai Minister Says Yingluck Trapped in Political Snare

A Thai deputy prime minister claims iLaw director Yingluck Achjanant is caught in a political trap rather than deliberately making unsupported allegations linking Bhumjaithai Party members to Senate fraud, suggesting she may have been manip

Thai Minister Says Yingluck Trapped in Political Snare
23 Jul Khaosod

At 9:45 a.m. on July 23 at Government House, Deputy Prime Minister Parutsathorn Chatkaewmanee, a Ang Thong member of parliament for the Bhumjaithai Party, commented on iLaw director Yingluck Achjanant's recent allegations. He stated he does not want the party to pursue legal action against Yingluck for naming party members linked to the Senate election fraud case, saying whether to sue is a party matter. Personally, he said there is no conflict between them—they were schoolmates—and he lives by the principle of "not killing your junior, not suing your senior, not betraying friends." However, he added that Yingluck presented claims as fact despite having no evidence, merely relaying hearsay to the public and causing damage to nine people mentioned.

When asked if Yingluck's statements had political motives, Parutsathorn said he believed Yingluck was caught in a trap rather than acting deliberately. He suggested Yingluck may have been manipulated by either political rivals or disappointed senatorial candidates with a vested interest in seeing vacancies filled. Parutsathorn noted that reserve senatorial candidates stand to gain if one of the 200 sitting senators steps down, creating a clear conflict of interest.

Parutsathorn further claimed the timing was suspicious, occurring shortly after a ruling party member faced charges in a Forex case by the Department of Special Investigation. He characterized the Senate fraud allegations as old claims his party had previously addressed and cooperated on. He suggested the People's Party strategically revived the issue after allegations emerged against Prawit Wongsuwan, using the same information they had fed to Yingluck. When pressed on whether Yingluck, the People's Party, and reserve senators were coordinating, Parutsathorn said he could not confirm whether Yingluck was part of a political network but doubted he would intentionally lower iLaw's standards. He remarked that iLaw once maintained integrity but has recently played politics, and suggested that if Yingluck wanted political involvement, he should simply join a party openly.

No. 02 of Read at source → Next
National

ONE Championship Reconciles with Rothalung, Eyes Massive Fighter Purse

ONE Championship has reconciled with former Muay Thai champion Rothalung Jitmeungnon after previous legal disputes, with his next fight purse potentially exceeding 10 million baht—a record for Thai fighters.

ONE Championship Reconciles with Rothalung, Eyes Massive Fighter Purse
23 Jul Khaosod

ONE Championship has reconciled with Rothalung Jitmeungnon and hints his next fight purse could exceed 10 million baht, depending on his fighting position and whether he competes for a title. No Thai fighter has ever received compensation of this magnitude. ONE Championship had previously filed lawsuits against Rothalung, the former ONE Muay Thai Flyweight World Champion, in three countries, including a defamation suit seeking 542 million baht in damages in Thailand. Big Phalay, ONE's representative, stated they have met again, which is positive. After their previous meeting and discussions, he expressed delight that Rothalung would rejoin ONE under the management of Jitmeungnon Camp, allowing global fans to watch him compete. He credited Jit and Soh Aor for helping facilitate a good resolution and said this would make Rothalung even greater. "I believe Rothalung has talent—someone like him would succeed in any sport," Big Phalay said. "Regarding his fight purse, we may not be able to disclose it, but it follows international standards. Rothalung's compensation is very high—no Thai fighter has ever received this much. It's an excellent contract, but we cannot specify the exact figure or confirm whether it exceeds 10 million."

No. 03 of Read at source → Next
Community

Sixty-Seven-Year-Old Man Digs 5-Acre Pond by Hand

A 67-year-old man in Nakhon Ratchasima has hand-dug over 60 percent of a 5-acre pond using simple tools, earning the nickname "Uncle the Master Digger" after decades of labor. He envisions the completed pond as a tourist attraction with a s

Sixty-Seven-Year-Old Man Digs 5-Acre Pond by Hand
23 Jul Khaosod

On July 23, 2569 (2026), it was reported that Khong Thobphakthai, a 67-year-old resident of Sa Takian subdistrict in Sisaket district, Nakhon Ratchasima province, has earned the nickname "Uncle the Master Digger" for spending decades manually digging and sculpting a 5-acre pond using only his two hands and simple tools.

He envisions the pond as a tourist attraction with a sandy beach where visitors can swim, while also serving domestic water needs and potentially becoming a fish farm for subsistence and future income.

Although he initially attempted to hire a backhoe to excavate the pond about 40 percent of the way through, the sandy soil caused the machine to sink and become stuck, forcing him to abandon mechanical methods and continue with manual labor using custom-made shovels and pickaxes. He has now hand-dug over 60 percent of the entire 5-acre area.

Khong explained that serious work began around age 50, when he started shaping embankments, pond edges, and an island in the center. His goal is to develop the entire 17-acre property into a mixed farm following the late King Bhumibol's sustainable agriculture philosophy, while also managing seasonal floodwaters that flow down from nearby hills during the rainy season. He hopes the finished pond will eventually become a community tourism destination and additional source of income for the local area.

No. 04 of Read at source → Next
National

Pizza Company Launches Chicken Tendies Concept with Coca-Cola

The Pizza Company launches Chicken Tendies, a new fast-casual concept featuring fried chicken, pizzas, and egg tarts with Coca-Cola beverages targeting younger consumers seeking quick, affordable meals. The first location opened at Robinson

Pizza Company Launches Chicken Tendies Concept with Coca-Cola
23 Jul Khaosod

Thai Beverage Coca-Cola is strengthening its partnership with The Pizza Company by launching The Pizza Company Chicken Tendies, a new business concept entering the quick-service restaurant (QSR) fried chicken market. The collaboration combines global Coca-Cola beverages with appetizing menu items including crispy fried chicken, pizzas, and egg tarts over 30 centimeters long in tendies style, plus value-priced combo sets tailored to solo diners, Gen Z, and convenience-focused customers seeking quick, satisfying meals.

Jason Riley, Assistant Managing Director of HoReCa at Thai Beverage Corporation Public Company Limited, stated that the company is advancing its business strength and supporting partner goals for mutual growth. Thai Beverage Coca-Cola brings expertise in QSR beverage service through long-standing experience with diverse restaurant types, offering both fountain refill systems for dine-in and bottled options for takeaway, bundled in affordable sets with unlimited Coca-Cola refills. The brand also brings world-class marketing campaigns adapted for Thai consumers, enhancing the tendies-style character and experience.

Pat Pongwittayapipat, General Manager of The Pizza Company under The Minor Food Group Public Company Limited, explained that the new The Pizza Company Chicken Tendies concept underwent extensive preparation in business model design, consumer insight analysis, product strategy innovation, and digital store development. The first transformed QSR-format location at Robinson Lifestyle Suvarnabhumi is now open and ready to serve. Having Thai Beverage Coca-Cola as a beverage partner complements the dining experience and brings Coca-Cola's marketing campaigns to further strengthen the concept.

No. 05 of Read at source → Next
National

Mahidol University Launches Myanmar Scholarship Program

Mahidol University is strengthening international educational cooperation through the Human Capital Empowerment in Myanmar (HCEM) initiative, a scholarship program designed to enhance human resource d...

23 Jul Thailand.go.th Issues

Mahidol University is strengthening international educational cooperation through the Human Capital Empowerment in Myanmar (HCEM) initiative, a scholarship program designed to enhance human resource d...

No. 06 of Read at source → Next
National

Thailand PWA Partners with South Korea on Water Technology

Thailand’s Provincial Waterworks Authority (PWA) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with a private sector organization from the Republic of Korea to strengthen collaboration in water tec...

23 Jul Thailand.go.th Issues

Thailand’s Provincial Waterworks Authority (PWA) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with a private sector organization from the Republic of Korea to strengthen collaboration in water tec...

No. 07 of Read at source → Next
Police

PM Orders Agencies to Track Militant Attack Killing 5 Rangers

Five rangers were killed in a militant attack at a checkpoint in Narathiwat's Rangae district on July 23, prompting the Prime Minister to order all security agencies to track down the attackers.

PM Orders Agencies to Track Militant Attack Killing 5 Rangers
23 Jul Khaosod

At 9:45 a.m. on July 23, 2569, Prime Minister Anuthachai Charnweerakul addressed the attack on rangers at the Bukesami checkpoint in Tangyongmas subdistrict, Rangae district, Narathiwat province, which killed five officers and wounded a 10-year-old child. When asked whether he would visit the area and injured victims in person, the PM said he was closely monitoring the situation. He stated that since the previous night of July 22, he had already issued orders to all agencies including the military, police, and Interior Ministry. When pressed again on whether he would visit the area given the escalating attacks, the Prime Minister refused to answer but stressed that he had already issued all necessary instructions. The incident involved approximately 10 gunmen armed with grenades, pipe bombs, and M16 and AK-47 rifles in two attack teams, and authorities subsequently discovered a suspicious pickup truck destroyed by fire in nearby Srisakhon district.

No. 08 of Read at source → Next
Tourism

Phetchaburi Promotes Creative Tourism at UNESCO Event

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is promoting creative tourism and local cultural identity through the “UNESCO Creative Cities Thailand @PHETCHABURI” event, highlighting Phetchaburi Pr...

23 Jul Thailand.go.th Issues

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is promoting creative tourism and local cultural identity through the “UNESCO Creative Cities Thailand @PHETCHABURI” event, highlighting Phetchaburi Pr...

No. 09 of Read at source → Next
Police

Bangkok Police Donate Blood to Honor Royal Birthday

Bang Khén Police officers donated blood on July 23 in honor of the King's 74th birthday, aiming to replenish national blood reserves and support public health efforts.

Bangkok Police Donate Blood to Honor Royal Birthday
23 Jul Khaosod

Bang Khén Police Station conducted a charitable blood donation drive on July 23, 2026, at 9:00 a.m. at the National Blood Service Center of the Thai Red Cross Society on Henry Dunant Road in Pathumwan District, Bangkok. Pol. Col. Anon Worasart, superintendent of Bang Khén Police Station, led the initiative alongside Pol. Lt. Col. Yuranun Petchmani and other police officers and staff from the station.

The volunteers participated in a blood donation program held in honor of His Majesty the King's 74th birthday on July 28, 2026. The activity was designed to express loyalty and appreciation for the royal grace, while implementing the royal principle of "doing good for nation, religion, and monarchy" through blood donation to assist patients, the injured, and support public health efforts.

The police officers' blood donation represents a gesture of compassion and commitment to replenishing blood reserves, strengthening medical security, and helping people in times of need. The drive reflects police officers' role as guardians of public peace and their dedication to standing alongside citizens.

No. 10 of Read at source → Next
National

Thailand Launches Operation Against Illegal Cryptocurrency Mining Networks

Thai authorities dismantled illegal cryptocurrency mining networks using stolen electricity in coordinated raids across seven locations, with the Prime Minister vowing strict prosecution of operators, investors, and any complicit officials.

Thailand Launches Operation Against Illegal Cryptocurrency Mining Networks
23 Jul Khaosod

Prime Minister Anuthidh Savastiprasong led the announcement of Operation SILENT VOLT results, which dismantled networks involved in illegal electricity use for cryptocurrency mining. The operation is expanding prosecutions and seizing assets for state ownership.

On July 23, 2025, at 9:50 AM at the Santitham Building within Government House, Prime Minister Anuthidh Savastiprasong and the Interior Minister presided over the Operation SILENT VOLT press briefing, announcing coordinated raids at seven locations to dismantle the illegal electricity network supporting cryptocurrency mining operations.

Justice Minister General Rutpol Naorat, DSI Commissioner Police Major General Yuthana Phraedamrong, Technology and Information Crime Division Director Police Colonel Khemchai Prakay Hongmani, and Provincial Electricity Authority Governor Mongkol Treekitjanan joined the announcement.

Prime Minister Anuthidh emphasized that the government takes seriously the suppression of all forms of technology-enabled crime, particularly illegal electricity use for cryptocurrency mining operations, which exploits society, damages state property, threatens electrical grid stability, and undermines confidence in the nation's law enforcement. The government has tasked all relevant agencies—the DSI, Provincial Electricity Authority, security agencies, and law enforcement—to work closely together to investigate thoroughly and prosecute offenders completely, including operators, investors, supporters, and any state officials who may be involved, without exception or discrimination.

The Prime Minister stated that government action aims not merely at arrests or asset seizures but at breaking the cycle of technology-enabled economic crime. The government will employ all applicable legal measures, including prosecution, asset tracking, and network expansion investigations to prevent recurrence.

The government will support technology use and digital economy activities conducted transparently and fairly within legal frameworks but will not permit technology to serve as a channel for pilfering state resources or damaging the nation's economic and utility systems.

The Prime Minister assured the public that the government will enforce laws seriously and continuously, coupled with enhanced monitoring and proactive inspections to protect national interests, maintain energy security, and create a fair business environment for law-abiding entrepreneurs.

Regarding the greatest damage from illegal electricity use, the Prime Minister noted that the most severe cases involve direct-line connections through transformers from the Provincial Electricity Authority, which consume enormous amounts of electricity and cause substantial state losses requiring full enforcement action.

Seizure of equipment alone is insufficient because such assets retain value only when used operationally. When dismantled and sold piecemeal, they have little worth, as technology assets deteriorate rapidly and lose value quickly. Equipment seized and held for two to three months becomes worthless.

The Prime Minister emphasized the focus should be on identifying supporters, operators, customers, and which state officials allowed illegal electricity use, noting they cannot claim ignorance. Such massive electricity consumption must be monitored by the Provincial and Metropolitan Electricity Authorities at source and destination points.

No. 11 of Read at source → Next
Loading more…
Endless reading Scroll to read. When you reach the bottom, keep scrolling. A bar fills, and the next story slides in when it's full. ↑ ↓ or Space Or use the arrows at the bottom of the screen.