Prime Minister Anutin denied that regulations were loosened in a local exam fraud crackdown, instead blaming dishonest officials for applying firm rules improperly. He said investigations have already caught most offenders and that more enf
At 9:55 a.m. on July 28, Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul and Interior Minister arrived at the Interior Ministry for discussions with senior ministry leadership. He said today's meeting was an informal gathering held near the Grand Palace after ministry executives signed a blessing petition there. Anutin stated he will carve out time to visit the Interior Ministry at least twice a week, even while working at Government House or elsewhere, to improve public services.
When asked if rules had been loosened in recent times, Anutin denied this, saying the system and regulations themselves remain firm but officials applying them have acted dishonestly. He attributed problems to people rather than procedures, noting that appointees were selected for their knowledge and integrity, but something has gone wrong that must be corrected.
On whether his increased oversight targets fraud in local exams or local power brokers, Anutin said the latter involves ordinary citizens acting as influential figures whom the government must address—a separate matter requiring coordination with provincial authorities, police, military, and security agencies.
When asked if these problems would damage public trust in government, Anutin said that while he cannot stop dishonest minds, just two weeks of investigations have already caught nearly all offenders. An empowered committee has revoked the names of corrupt officials. The government's mechanisms have located every point of failure completely, and more actions will follow—seven enforcement actions occurred by yesterday (July 27) and action number eight came today, with actions nine and ten to follow. All will be exposed.
Anutin added that he met this morning with Suchat Trakulsueksamkul, chairman of the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC). Suchat stated that the NACC has assigned itself to lead a sub-committee investigating the matter, a rare occurrence that reassures Anutin this will not become mere theatrical spectacle. Even the NACC chairman personally watches the cases. On the government side, Deputy PM Pakorn Nileprapen will submit a report within two to three days, and all threads will converge to reveal the full scope of wrongdoing.
When asked whether people implicated in Pakorn's report should face prosecution, Anutin said three are already in custody without bail granted, and arrest warrants have been issued for many others.