Police to Target Exam Fraud Brokers by Month's End
Police are accelerating an investigation into a local government exam fraud scheme involving altered test scores and state officials, with major developments expected by month's end as they pursue brokers and other suspects connected to the
On August 17, Metropolitan Police Bureau chief Pol. Lt. Gen. Natthasak Chaovasanakul disclosed progress in the investigation into fraud in local government personnel recruitment examinations. After investigators found involvement by state officials, they issued summonses for those to acknowledge the charges, including Rueangdet Sirikij, director of the Education and Psychology Testing Center at Srinakharinwirot University, and Theerut Suphavibulyapol, former director-general of the Department of Local Administration, as well as others involved in altering test scores.
Natthasak said that last week, investigators compiled case documents and forwarded them to the National Anti-Corruption Commission for legal proceedings. The Anti-Corruption Commission has now appointed Anti-Corruption Division officers to serve on a special investigation panel and returned certain documents to police to pursue further inquiries into multiple issues. The investigation is proceeding rigorously. Regarding brokers and other connected individuals, police confirmed they will accelerate work on the evidence supplied by the Anti-Corruption Commission and compile their findings to submit for the commission's consideration. They requested time for teams and investigators to do further work, with significant developments expected between the end of this month and early next month.
As for candidates who passed the exam and were already appointed as civil servants, Natthasak said several groups are still under review pending official information from the Anti-Corruption Commission before taking further steps. Regarding whether the evidence will point to influential figures behind the scheme beyond state officials, he asked that the matter await consideration by the Anti-Corruption Commission's larger committee. However, he confirmed that police and the commission will continue to pursue the case without pause and will examine all those involved to prosecute according to facts and evidence thoroughly.