Shooting Threat on Social Media Prompts Security Lockdown at Chiang Mai School
Montfort College in Chiang Mai locked down security after a student posted shooting threats in a Line chat group on August 11, with police determining the messages were sent as a prank mimicking an online trend.
CHIANG MAI — On 11 August 2026, Montfort College in Chiang Mai tightened security after a student allegedly posted a threat in a Line chat group to carry out a shooting at the school. A series of messages were shared with reporters regarding the incident, with students' names anonymized. Among the messages was a student displaying what appeared to be a handgun from a car, followed by discussions in a popular Line group called "Montford Dark Side" where students openly discussed carrying out a shooting.
The threatening messages caused alarm among parents, some of whom contacted the school and travelled there to collect their children. The school coordinated with Mae Ping Police Station, which sent around 20 officers to inspect the campus on 10 August. A teacher at the school said the students responsible had been identified and admitted to sending the messages "out of mischief" and in imitation of an online trend, without expecting it to spread so widely.
On 11 August, police and school staff conducted detailed security checks at the entrance and inspected classrooms. Officers also spoke to students about safety precautions and warning signs. The school said the situation has returned to normal and added that parents concerned for their children's safety may allow them to take leave from school when necessary. The school's student-affairs department coordinated with Mae Ping police investigators to help monitor security.